FOLLOWING on from the idea in the last post that the Labour Party want to create a ‘Hampstead, Highgate and Kilburn’ constituency, I’m told the Conservatives and Lib Dems will be taking different angles at the public hearings.
The Conservatives want to:
* Keep Hampstead based seat with Fortune Green in it. It would also take back Belsize, which is currently going south under the first draft of changes suggested by the Boundary Commission.
* Move Somers Town to an ‘Islington and Holborn’ seat. They will argue that Somers Town should always be in the same constituency as King’s Cross. Kentish Town would be sent to the ‘Camden and Regent’s Park’ proposed seat.
The Lib Dems are set to argue:
* For Camden Town and Primrose Hill, and Haverstock wards to be added to the Hampstead and Kilburn seat.
* They will suggest shifting the Holborn parliamentary seat westwards, rather than east to Islington. King’s Cross, Somers Town, Bloomsbury and Holborn would fall into a ‘Holborn and Regent’s Park’ constituency.
* Rename ‘Hornsey and Wood Green’ with ‘Hornsey and Bounds Green’. Introduce a new ‘Kentish Town and Islington North’ seat, which would also take in Highgate village.