GETTY’S quite radical decision to share its 35 million images with social media users and bloggers last month may lead to a few crossed words with photographers. But what a treasure trove it is. Even if you are not going to embed them anywhere, it’s worth walking through history with the company.
So, I know this is a little too Buzzfeedish, but here’s 15 of the best pictures of Camden, the borough, among Getty’s sensational archives.
1. London Zoo in 1939, when they had pandas and visitors could apparently tickle their tummies.
2. 1942: People in Kentish Town stand outside their bomb-flattened homes in Grafton Road.
3. Another scene of devastaton: Arkwright Gardens in Hampstead in 1945.
3.Here’s Holborn’s open air lido – the Oasis – during a heatwave in 1956. You can see the Shaftesbury Theatre in the background.
4. Photographer David Bailey has the cameras turned on him as he gets married to Catherine Deneuve at Camden Town Hall.
5. The great writer Hunter Davies pictured at home in Camden in 1968 – presumably for a feature – with his daughter Caitlin, who grew up to write wonderful books on Camden’s history.
6. This one is meant to show how the Railway pub in West Hampstead was a little bit racy. Titled ‘barmaids in boots’, the snap is from the bar’s Bird’s Nest disco in 1971.
7. Here’s Ray Davies, from The Kinks, outside The Flask pub in Highgate Village in 1972. He still lives nearby and you sometimes see him walking around Pond Square.
8. Former Labour Party leader Michael Foot strolls through Hampstead Heath in 1980.
9. Also in 1980s, Frank Dobson looking combative during a decade of Tory rule.
10. Britpop days: Phil Daniels and Damon Albarn mucking about at a party in Hampstead in the wake of Blur’s hit tune, Parklife. (1995)
11. Fast forward to 2005, and the devastating scene in Tavistock Square after the London bombings.
12. In 2006, Reverend Malcolm Hunter spent ten days sitting on the roof of St Michael’s Church in Camden Town in one of our area’s most eye-catching fund-raisers.
13. A very, very special gig at the Dublin Castle: Amy Winehouse’s secret performance at the end of the 2007 Camden Crawl.
14. The night sky turns orange as the ‘Camden Fire’ wrecks part of the market and the Hawley Arms, the pub which bounced back from disaster.
15. Kim Kardashian goes walking on Hampstead Heath in the clearly unsuitable choice of high heels. Included, maybe just as a sign of the times of what photographers find themselves doing more and more these days. This was 2012.